Open call for visual artists, filmmakers, dancers, dramaturges, designers, interdisciplinary artists
RIGA CIRCUS RESIDENCY PROGRAM 2018
OPEN CALL FOR VISUAL ARTISTS, FILMMAKERS, DANCERS, DRAMATURGES, DESIGNERS, INTERDISCIPLINARY ARTISTS
Supported by Nordic Culture Point
Open call: July 2
Deadline for applications: July 20
Results: July 24
Residency period: August 9-29, 2018
Riga Circus Residency Program welcomes applications for the 2018 from visual artists, filmmakers, dancers, dramaturges, designers, interdisciplinary artists from Lithuania, Estonia and Nordic states.
Riga Circus building is one the oldest circuses in Europe being built in 1888, and the building is a cultural monument of State significance. It was founded by Albert Salamonsky – a brilliant German circus artist, horse trainer, equestrian and a director.
The building was erected from the unique design blueprints of a Latvian architect Janis Fridrihs Baumanis, and used such modern architecture elements as railroad rails as the basis for the building and dome structure which was an absolute novelty at that time.
In 2017 Riga Circus launched as a state-owned enterprise new strategy for circus development in the Latvian capital resurrecting the 1888 entertainment venue which occupies a prominent site within the historic city centre. Currently, the competition for the renovation of the historic building of the Riga Circus and development vision for the territory is taking place. In a couple of years, the Riga Circus building will go under reconstruction, so this is the last moment to experience the old Riga Circus.
About the program:
Riga Circus Residency is created as a laboratory for new forms of artistic research and art practices within the interdisciplinary field of art. We are located in Riga, Latvia, and open to contemporary circus artists, dancers, visual artists, filmmakers, dramaturgists, designers, interdisciplinary artists. The Residency program simultaneously will host two artists or artist groups: one from the circus field and one from another art field. Our main mission is to promote contemporary artistic practices mainly focusing on circus development in Latvia and in the Baltic region. We are eager to foster exchange, discussion, experimentation and collaborative work.
During the residency, artists are expected to work on ideas for a site-specific project related to Riga Circus. Projects, which engage with the local community and/or art field, will be given priority.
- A short written application, explaining who you are and what project you would like to develop in Riga Circus Residency – max 3600 characters;
- Information on the technical requirements;
- Portfolio of previous works.
Please submit application documents until July 20th via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The circus building and yard;
Access to conference room and office facilities.
Private or shared rooms (9,5–18,5 sq. m) with basic facilities;
Shared kitchen, WC and showers.
Artists in residence will be provided with local guidance and introduction to Riga art scene.
Riga Circus Residency Program covers:
- Travel costs (roundtrip in economy class from Nordic or Baltic countries to Riga and back);
- Accommodation (in the building of Riga Circus);
- Per diems are covered in the amount of 28 Eur per day;
- Production costs 1200 Eur (including tax).
Presentation of the outcome:
Artists in Residence are required to show the residency results to public in a form of the project presentation, the site-specific work or an exhibition.
Riga Circus terms and conditions:
- The Artists in Residence must credit Riga Circus as a residency partner in all marketing and communications relating to the residency as well as the production developed during the residency;
- The Artists in Residence must have in place personal accident insurance;
- If the residency project requires equipment or other facilities not provided by Riga Circus, the Artists in Residence are responsible for acquiring the equipment as well as all of the costs for doing so;
- In Riga Circus premises it is not allowed to use such materials or tools that may damage the facilities or equipment, or cause extra cleaning needs. Such are e.g. dusting matters (as sand), incenses and liquids. The use of fire and smoke is strictly forbidden;
- It is not allowed to keep pets in Riga Circus studios or guest rooms.